Chris Palliser


            As the aroma of freshly pressed coffee seeps from Vancouver Islanders travel mugs, a new voice is heard coming from the stereos of morning time commuters.
            It’s an early 5:30am start for Chris Palliser, Virgin Victoria’s new morning radio show co-host
            “Waking up at 4:00am sucks.” Says Palliser, “But just like anything new, you need to get used to it.”
            Though not a stranger to new environments, Palliser’s career in radio began after his graduation from the Radio and Television program at Camosun College. He was 21-years-old when he headed north to his first gig in Nanaimo. He worked as a street teamer for a local station known as The Wolf handing out stickers and tattoos for the summer.
            Palliser says, “It was a rough start … but just like anything, you have to start small and work your way up.”
            After the summer he landed a job at a small “ma and pa” station in Fort McMurray. He worked there for over three years to where he began to truly fall in love with radio.
            “I started having fun and enjoying what radio really is.” Says Palliser. “It’s community. It’s local. It’s fun.”
            While working in Alberta, Palliser’s coastal roots drove him back west. He started working evenings and weekends at 94.5 The Beat, which at the time was one of Vancouver’s leading radio stations.
            “I was 25 and living the dream!” Says Palliser. “I worked under The Beat for 5 years in downtown Vancouver and then another 5 after it flipped to Virgin Radio. I met my now wife and we had two beautiful little girls.”
            As time moves along, the perspectives of one’s life move along with it. After his 10 years of working under 94.5 FM in Vancouver, Palliser knew it was time to head back to the island for good.
            “One of the biggest reasons I wanted to get back to Victoria was the feeling of community,” says Palliser. “In Vancouver it’s hard to have a sense of community … and from my family’s point of view, we wanted to raise our kids in Victoria because it is such a good place to raise a family.”
            While Palliser and his family packed their suitcases and headed to the ferry, Victoria’s Kool FM was in the midst of a makeover. On February 8th, 2019, iHeartRadio Canada announced the launch of 107.3 Virgin Radio and Palliser as the new morning show co-host.
            Finally home, Palliser is getting used to the early morning wake up call. But all for good reason.
            “I feel so blessed to host this show in my hometown.” Says Palliser. “It’s a dream come true. I am so lucky I get to do what I love, surrounded by the people I love, in a place that I love.”

Comments

Popular Posts